Sunday, May 26, 2013

Quick Takes (10)


7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!





I realize that I am super late with these but, oh well! I also realized that my ones for last week were entitled "10" but they were really only 9. So here is the real Quick Takes 10! Remember to head to Jen's for more!


 
1.

I figured out the whole cutting my hair business, well God did actually. My friend who proctored my exam last week used to be a hair dresser. She said she would cut my hair for free since I was so generous with the proctor fee I paid her. So hopefully some time this week, she will have time to do it, woohoo!
 
2.
 
Speaking of my exam, I think it went well. I don't get the results until early July though, bah! I am not a very patient person and I really want to know how I did. I feel pretty confident about passing all four parts but who knows. June is going to be such a busy month with weddings, ordinations,  birthdays and graduations that I won't really have time to think about it too much.  

3.
 
Saturday I went to a spiritual bridal shower for a dear friend. I think the tradition of the spiritual shower started in our churchie group when my friend T and I were getting married 5 weeks apart. It is where we get together and talk about marriage, the good and the bad, then we offer some nugget of wisdom that we have learned. They also share recipes and bring books that have helped their marriage. Only married women, widows or those who have been married attend. It sounds exclusive but it really is kind of cool to get all the women together like that. It is a little uncomfortable because I think every marriage is different and people will figure it out on their own. I was dreading comments about our childlessness or remarks from the other women saying "That's easy for you to say, you don't have children." This all was totally in my head as I was imagining the worst case scenario so I could be prepared for it. I am happy to report it was NOT like that at all! It was a wonderful event and the ladies that went are lovely and would probably never make such remarks. I am so glad I went and I am so happy for my friend L who is getting married! L was in my wedding and now I get to see her get married to a wonderful godly man. L has been such a great spiritual big sister for me since I was a teenager and she has been there for me through so much, it is such a blessing to see her so joyful and in love. She has waited a long time for her spouse but she always held to the promise that God would bring him in due time. Her story makes me hopeful about our IF and that God will bring us children in due time.    

 
4.

So last week I talked about the great divide between the "haves" and "have nots." Well yesterday at the bridal shower I was speaking with a dear friend who is also going through subfertility and she has had miscarriages and she was wanting to start up a married couples fellowship again. About four years ago a bunch of us married couples tried to get together to have fellowship, prayer and a teaching/reflection. We only had two meetings and then it kind of fizzled out w/ every one's busy schedule. So a few of us were talking about doing it again. This would be a mix of couples who have and do not have children. The other IF friend and I were talking about how important it is to stay connected, even to our friends w/ children. We set a date for July and will come up with topics to reflect on for our marriages. We will see where this goes, only God knows!

5.

JJ and I will be going to Alabama in August! We are going to EWTN and the Shrine on a pilgrimage, we are so excited. This will be our annual family vacation and we have to make some sacrifices to go but we can do it. So if you are in the Alabama area it would be great to meet up!

6.

I got two pieces of not good information this week. One was that some friends of ours are most likely moving by the end of the summer. They are moving for work and it is a wonderful opportunity but we are sad they will be leaving. They will most likely be back in 1-2yrs. which is better than them leaving for good.

7.

The other bad news is that a family member has been diagnosed with cancer. We are shocked as this family member is not elderly and seemed to be in good health but cancer does not discriminate. I am praying for a miracle and a healing for this family member. Please pray for them and my family that this situation would lead us ALL closer to God! St. Peregrine, pray for us!

Happy Memorial Day! Please remember those who have died serving our country in the armed forces as well as their family members who miss them very much!

   

4 comments:

  1. I never heard of a spiritual bridal shower but it sounds great, so glad everything went well. I am sorry about your family member and I will be praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My in-laws went to EWTN and the shrine last month; they had a really great time, and they brought back some amazing pictures. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a spiritual bridal shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear that you are going to work on bridging the divide. I think it's hard for all of us to face that, but we (by that I mean both the "haves" and the "have nots" really need to come together more and learn from each other and be together through all the various things of life. Praying for your family member!

    ReplyDelete