Saturday, April 20, 2013

Recovery

Well I am back! The recovery process is going well and JJ is doing an amazing job at being my caretaker. I really am very blessed to have him. I am not gonna lie it is a painful recovery, she did take out part of my left ovary and played around with my right Fallopian tube a lot. I have been taking the pain medication regularly so that I am able to do some stuff on my own. I hate taking pain medication but I will admit that it is helping me do things like eat, stand, walk, you know all of the hard stuff ;)

During surgery I wrote out a specific plan of prayers for my mom and JJ to say, I know I am so choleric. As I was waking up from the surgery I couldn't help but smile. The nurses probably thought I was the strangest patient but it felt so right to smile I was alive and the surgery was done. Every time one of the nurses came to check on me I tried to smile and say thank you so that even in me weakest moments I could show love and appreciation to them. All of the nurses that took care of me were so gentle and patient. Nurses rock!

I felt challenged to be a gentle and appreciative patient when I first got there because they tried 3 different places to put the IV because my veins are so tiny. I told them that it would only go on my right arm but they said they had to try the left arm and right hand first. It really hurt especially when they tried my right hand so I closed my eyes and prayed to be united more to Jesus in his sufferings of his pierced hands. The poor nurse felt so bad I think she almost started crying and she apologized a lot. I just tried to smile and tell her that it was ok, I understood they had a procedure to follow. I now have some pretty nasty bruises from that ordeal but at least it is over.

My NaPro Dr. was amazed that she did the wedge resection on only one ovary. She said "it is rare that this happens where only one ovary is showing signs of PCOS especially since they were both showing signs of PCOS at your last surgery almost 2 yrs. ago" and I said "well miracles still happen don't they Doc." I love having a Catholic/Christian Dr. who believes in miracles! She cleared me to go home on Friday and we have a follow up appt. with her in 2 weeks.

As I was becoming more coherent after the surgery JJ told me the details. I was amazed that my body is so mismatched with one non PCOS ovary and one tube that was open. Hopefully now after the surgery they will all work together and get back on track! I am glad I asked her to do the HSG to check my tubes at the last minute so that we discovered the blockage on the right. She said that my pregnancy with Cecilia was probably ectopic and that is why it was blocked because of the scarred tissue. When I heard this I was sad and comforted at the same time. Knowing that I miscarried so early means that Cecilia was itty bitty when she died and if she would have grown any bigger I could have had a rupture, lost the right tube or worse died. So in a sense my baby saved my life, oh how I miss her and can't wait to meet her in heaven! The good Doc said that next time I get pregnant we would have to be more vigilant with blood draws and ultrasound to make sure it is not ectopic. When she said "next time you get pregnant" I had a strong sense of hope that it can happen again. This is was a rare occasion that I allowed myself to hope again and the good Doc seemed very hopeful too.

We had a bit of a funny situation happen the day we left. I was staying in the women's center which includes labor and delivery patients as well, there weren't too many patients there which was nice. I got my own room and JJ was able to stay overnight with me both nights. Well on the day I was discharged a volunteer came in to refill my water pitcher and when she left she said "congratulations!" JJ and I looked at each other and laughed, yes congratulations to us our tubes are open and only one ovary is showing PCOS, woohoo! We didn't have the heart to tell her we didn't just have a baby so I think we said thank you.

Coming home was rough because it took about 2 hrs. and the freeways were a bit bumpy, ouch! It was so nice to walk in the door at home though I feel so much more relaxed. I finally felt strong enough to shower this morning and it felt so good but it was so tiring. I hadn't showered since tuesday night so I really needed to shower. When you can't do basic things on your own you really start to be thankful for what you can do.

I am now resting from my morning activities and waiting for lunch to be ready. I am taking any Netflix recommendations and looking forward to catching up on reading blogs so write some good stuff to entertain me :)

I would like to thank all of you who have been praying for me! I appreciate it more than you know and have felt covered in prayer. There are others who are going through much worse than me and it humbles me that there are people who have been praying for me. I know that it is because of prayer that this experience has not been too bad, know that you are all in my prayers!

12 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you are doing so well! I love that you had a specific prayer plan for your mom and JJ - so something I would do!

    Prayers for a recovery that continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for a quick recovery! Glad to hear that things are going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your positivity is truly a sign of hope. I am so glad you are recovering, though I know it must be so difficult. May The Lord sustain you!

    I remember when I had surgery, my hubby would wash my hair in the sink and help me get dressed. Sounds like JJ is being so compassionate and sacrificial..God bless him!

    Prayers for continued healing and peace moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that your recovery is going so well! It is wonderful to hear that your dr is so optimistic, and that her hope has "infected" you, too. I'll continue to pray for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My right ovary was the one that needed the wedge resection. Left was fine after some endo was removed.

    So glad you are recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so glad to hear everything is going well with the recovery so far. Sounds like JJ is doing a great job! I am continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that things went well and that you are recovering. Will keep praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to hear from you! I'm glad the recovery is going well. And I'll say congratulations too! That's so wonderful they were able to repair both sides at once. I hope you feel stronger by the day and enjoy being pampered by JJ!

    Oh and about Netflix suggestions: I always like watching miniseries when I'm sick because they take up so much time. Like downton abbey, north & south, upstairs downstairs (all British, if you like that) or classic detective shows like matlock and agatha christie. Have you seen "once"? Wonderful movie! Roman holiday is sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear you are doing well! Prayers for a smooth and speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey - I just wanted to say I saw your comment on JBTC's blog post and I thought it was right on the money. I taught my very last CCD class this week and lectured my confirmandi nearly to death on the point that Christians suffer WITH the suffering, we don't break the rules, re-write the facts, and tell ourselves comforting lies to make the person's situation seem smaller and more palatable to us, or just wish the suffering person would GO AWAY. I'm pretty sure half of them didn't listen and the other half thought I was right out of my gourd, but hey, I had to try. Most Catholics 20 years older than they are don't seem to have gotten the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think it is so interesting how we are not taught to deal with each other's suffering let alone our own.

      Delete
  11. I've been praying for you...glad to hear you are up and about. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete