Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Blog Jump Start: Week 4





So, I am a week behind on this prompt but still wanted to participate. I am behind on most things lately but now that I am out of the 1st trimester I am feeling a bit more like my normal self.

Guess who's coming to dinner...The prompt for last week was who would you have dinner with living or dead? This prompt has been very difficult to write about. Mainly because there are so many possibilities that I can't make a decision. I think I have narrowed it down but, we will see where this takes me. So, I will write this post in a list format since that seems more organized and doable to me.

1) Obviously JJ and the baby (in utero) would be at dinner because um they live here!

2)  Karol Wojtiyla, probably around the time he finished Love and Responsibility. He was still young and spry yet full of wisdom. I think he would bring great conversation and some great light hearted charism. I really love St. JPII because he shaped so much of my conversion and young adulthood. He challenged my view of who I am, who Christ is and how to suffer with grace. I am so thankful for his life and vocation that I would love to share a meal with him.

3) Venerable Fulton J. Sheen. I mean I can't have St. JPII there without him! Whenever I watch, hear or read his words I am captivated. I did not really discover who he was and his media presence until after JJ and I were married. Once I saw my first clip of him I was hooked and his words about Our Lord Jesus Christ and the freedom that He brings made me want to fall deeper in love with Christ. So naturally, he is on my guest list.

4) Rafaela M. Herrera, my great grandmother, aka "little grandma." She was a tiny woman yet her love for God and her family was so big. I would want her there to keep us all in line and make sure we ate enough. It would also be so fun to see this tiny woman interact with these spiritual giants. Though she did not know much about theology she was such a great example of steadfast faith and keeping your prayer life going. She passed away in November 2006 and I would love to share a meal with her again.

5) Fr. M.D., who is still alive. He is a priest we met a couple years ago and he has instantly become a comrade and confidant for us. We have actually had him over for dinner a couple times and each time we grow fonder of his company. He is one of those priests that remind you of a mix between St. JPII, Ven. Fulton Sheen and your best friend. I won't go on about how cool he is for fear that he may become prideful. I think he would bring great conversation and warmth to this dinner plus he would be strengthened and edified in his vocation by being in this company. So, for those reasons he is on the list.

6) This one is a bit controversial for me and I am still not sure I would want this person at this dinner, my father. I would want him there just to ask general questions about his life like his favorite color, favorite childhood memory, what hobbies he has, what music does he like, etc. I have never gotten to know him since our relationship has always been a mix of deceit, mistrust and apathy. In the presence of everyone else on this list I would feel very safe so I would feel comfortable asking these questions and interacting with him without having a bitter undertone. At this point I mostly feel toward my dad the way I do any stranger; I would get to know them if they want to get to know me. Also, I think with being around these extraordinary and holy people my father would have a desire to know God and have an authentic conversion.

7) Honorable mentions: Caryll Houselander, J.R.R. Tolkein (it would be super cool to actually have Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf there too), my spiritual director (who would probably just shy away even if he knew the company), Mother Angelica (actually she would be bumped up to attendance because she would be a hoot!).

Now to the business on what we would actually eat. I think it would be funny to have pizza with all these amazing people. More than likely it would be some form of mediterranean/middle eastern food because that is what I am in the mood for mostly these days. We would also have to play a few rounds of mad libs because I would love to see what we all come up with!

6 comments:

  1. What a great list of people you have! I hadn't thought about what time in JPII's life I would have preferred, but I think you have an insightful thought on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean I would eat with St. JPII at any stage of his life but I really love learning about his life before he was pope.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you in the link-up. I love your list but of everyone you mentioned, I think I'd like to meet your "little grandma" most. Your dinner sounds like a fun reunion in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was such a fun lady! She loved her Catholic faith and took it very seriously but she also loved to eat, dance and watch her Spanish novellas. I am so glad I had her as an example for 22 years of my life :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Donna on your thoughts on JPII and when in his life you'd like to meet with him. I, too, think the post Love & Responsibility JPII would be amazing. Such an intense philosophical work with such practical, day to day implications.

    I was struck that you refer to your great grandmother as 'little Grandma' because my great grandma was always referred to as 'big grandma'.

    I feel your struggle on having your father over, and I will pray for the tensions surrounding your relationship with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny because my grandma is referred to as 'big grandma" because she is tall and my great grandma is "little grandma" because she was so tiny :)

      Delete