Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Blog Jump Start Week 1




I am wanting to get back into the habit of blogging more regularly. So, I am linking up with Donna's Blog Jump Start! This week's topic is "Why Do You Write?" I have always found reading and writing fascinating ever since I was a child. You could usually find me in my room or on a papasan chair at my aunt's house reading a book while my cousins would be gallivanting around the neighborhood at night while our parents played cards. Being transported to another place or reading another's thoughts connected me with a world bigger than myself. It could be compared to someone's very first experience of God. Not to say that books are like God at all it is just a small comparison.

I found comfort and understanding in reading so I slowly began to write myself. I started writing a book when I was sixteen about a young girl with cancer. I know, I am so melancholic. I also wrote some poetry and even got the nerve to share one with my high school's literary anthology. I disliked sharing my writing and sometimes still do because it is so intimate to write and vulnerable to share it.

I started this blog back in 2009 to keep in touch with friends that were far away. When we started dealing with infertility I stopped writing because I felt I had nothing but gloom to write. Then a couple years later I picked it back up again after we had our miscarriage. I guess I just needed to write out my thoughts, feelings and musing in order to feel heard. I did not need to feel heard by the world but I needed to hear me. Then I noticed people were finding comfort in my blog and discovering compassion for those carrying the cross of infertility so I continued writing.

I have also found so much support and friendship in this blogging community although it seems to be getting much smaller nowadays. I have noticed that as people are choosing a quicker more "convenient" lifestyle they are reading blogs less and just checking FB or Insta. I guess a reason I write is to conserve a slower paced lifestyle as much as possible. So, people actually have to read what I write with very little promise of pictures to go with it.

I write because I love it really. I love typing the keys as my thoughts come to life and I can articulate what I feel and think. It is a powerful feeling. Maybe someday I will finish that book and write a few more...

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you started and keep writing. I agree that everything seems to go faster and I found myself nodding along as you said you write to 'conserve a slower paced lifestyle as much as possible'. I like insta and FB as much as anyone else, but there is something to be said for writing it all out and not just letting a picture tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somedays it is hard to not have a FB or Insta account because I know so many people who use those and would love to see their pictures and posts. But I also know that for me it can become a rabbit hole so for now I stay away.

      Delete
  2. I love that you are trying to write more! I am with you that a lot of people stick with the "quick and easy", but it just doesn't tell as much of the real story as blogging does. I also love that for you that it also connects you with other writing goals that you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the aspect of blogging where the person gets to tell the whole story and it is not just back and forth debating with comments like FB had become. I like reading a post, taking it in and commenting when I am ready. Blogging gives much more time for self editing for the writer and commenter.

      Delete
  3. I am grateful that you love to write.
    "It could be compared to someone's very first experience of God" I think that writing allows us to share little glimpses of God and His love for us. It's obviously seen among the blogging community and their care and support of each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had never witnessed such quick community building until blogging. It is quite nice :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're writing. Blogging goes deeper than FB and Instagram. It allows a connection with your reader, and when people take the time to respond, a better conversation. I don't tend to share much on FB - just the bare minimum. I have instagram locked waaaay down, so I sometimes share more there, but I still don't feel as free as I do on my blog.

    ReplyDelete